Often we want or need to make changes in our relationships, work life and or daily habits. We know that the brain likes to choose the familiar over the unfamiliar so we all need solid tools to support us in implementing the changes that we want to make in our lives.
7 Interventions to help when we are feeling stuck and afraid to change:
- Let Go of Self Criticism – When the Inner Critic shows up that means that you are onto something important. Understand that criticism is not an energy that supports change. So put your inner critic on un-employment.
- Realize that resistance to a new idea, behavior or action does not mean that what you are trying to change is wrong – it is just new and feels uncomfortable, as it should.
- Small adjustments in behaviors, thoughts and actions can support radical changes, implement these changes little and often.
- Reach out to supportive friends that will help you to find the courage to face the reality and uncertainty that comes with doing new things.
- When you feel self doubt create a positive vision in your mind of what you can gain by tolerating the discomfort of change.
- Affirm your inner core values related to the change as that helps our brain reach the outcome that you desire.
- Create an inner champion that can offer non-judgmental support and self-compassion to inspire your motivation to change.